The Wikipedia page on histrionic personality disorder is an eye-raising read (painted or otherwise) on several fronts. Huh.
Histrionic people are lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, and flirtatious. HPD affects four times as many women as men. It has a prevalence of 2–3% in the general population and 10–15% in inpatient and outpatient mental health institutions.
A mnemonic that can be used to remember the characteristics of histrionic personality disorder is shortened as “PRAISE ME”:
- Provocative (or seductive) behavior
- Relationships are considered more intimate than they actually are
- Influenced easily by others or circumstances
- Speech (style) wants to impress; lacks detail
- Emotional lability; shallowness
- Make-up; physical appearance is used to draw attention to self
- Exaggerated emotions; theatrical
Also, a woman named Blanche who supposedly exhibited HBD supposedly inspired Freud lots.